Former Open Championship Venue

Musselburgh Links, The Old Golf Course is an original Open Championship venue, hosting the event on six occasions between 1874 and 1889. 

Documentary evidence proves that golf was played on Musselburgh Links as early as 2 March 1672 although Mary, Queen of Scots reputedly played here in 1567.”

Authenticating the record is the documentary evidence found in the Account Book of Sir John Foulis of Ravelston.  Amongst many of his entries relating to golf, the following dated 2nd March 1672 validates Musselburgh Links’ record:

2 March 1672 – For 3 golfe balls 0  152 0

Lost at golfe at Musselburgh wt Gosfoord, Lyon etc, 3  05  0

For a horse htyre thither, 0  18  0

This passage is referenced in the “The Golf Book Of East Lothian”, compiled and documented by John Kerr, M.A, F.R.S.E, F.S.A.Scot, the Minister of Direlton, published in 1896.